So since I’ve been in Germany, I’ve noticed some things that are different than what we are usually used to in Canada. Here are some random observations
- There are not really any Supermarkets here. You know how you can walk in a Loblaws, or Maxi, or Metro and find EVRYTHING you would ever need. So many choices. Well here, the stores are tiny compared to back home. And there is only one of everything. In Canada, you could find 10 different kinds of cans of corn: small, big, 5 different brands. Here, there is one. If you want corn, you buy the one there is.
- I’ve never seen so many people with leg problems here. Everyday, you see at least 5 people with crutches, or canes or people that limp or have weird feet. I don’t know why, but there are so many.
- The bikes are probably more dangerous than the cars. Bikers do whatever they want. Don’t get in their way cause they won’t stop for you. And almost no one wears a helmut. You also have to have a light on your bike, if not, you can get a ticket from the polizei. Most of the lights work when you pedal.
- People in the buses, s-bahn or u-bahn don’t give up their seat for older people.
- When I was visiting apartments, I noticed that most german apartments don’t have living rooms. You come into a hall surrounded by closed rooms. Even the kitchen is in a closed area.
- Most people have washers, but no dryers.
- This is more of a European thing, but you have to pay to use most public toilets. Usually 50 cents.
- People almost never bring lunch to work. Everyone goes out for lunch and has a big proper meal. Some companies (including mine), give you pay for lunches. When I am at the office, I get 3 euros a day in the form of coupons that I can then use in restaurants or grocery stores.
- People usually don’t drink water or something when they eat (unless it’s a beer). So people will go an entire lunch without drinking.
- When you order water in a Restaurant, unless you specify, they will bring you sparkling water. They drink sparkling everything here. Even if you say without, there is usually a bit of bubbles in it.
- Most men do not lose their hair. I haven’t seen a lot of people with bold spots.
If I see any other interesting differences, I might have to make a part 2 to this post.